FRESHFARM Foggy Bottom Farmer’s Market

Written by Kathleen Merrigan, GW Food Institute Director

I’m writing to exclaim that the FreshFarm Foggy Bottom Farmers Market is a great place to shop!  It runs Wednesday afternoons from 3:00 to 7:00 pm and is located on our campus at the I Street Metro Mall aside of the Foggy Bottom metro stop.  Operating since 2005, the market opened early April and won’t close until Thanksgiving eve.  We can use our G-World cards to shop there, as the banner seen here declares.  The other side of the banner on each end of the market reads, “in partnership with the GW Food Institute.”  We are very proud of that!

IMG_1809On August 11, 2016 in celebration of National Farmers Market Week, I toured our market with U.S. Department of Agriculture Under Secretary Kevin Concannon, one of my favorite people and a tireless champion for low/no income Americans.  Besides rejoicing over the beautiful produce, we confirmed that SNAP/food stamps, WIC/Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program, and DC’s Produce Plus Program benefits are all accepted at the market.  FarmersMkt4

I’ve always been an advocate of farmers markets and am thrilled that they have become so popular.  The USDA Agricultural Marketing Service released this info graphic which gives a good summary of the impact of these alternative marketing venues.

In this video from USDA’s nutrition.gov, Sara Wilson, a registered dietitian and a former student of mine, provides the rationale for shopping at a farmers market.

28565503910_87a01e6243_h

Over the coming weeks, our new Food Institute Fellows will profile the farmers who vend at the market and provide us all insight in what it takes to provide us with such bounty in the middle of the city.IMG_1800

I must admit to being particularly intrigued by all the pickled and fermented food items sold at the market.  According to FreshFarm Market Executive Director Mike Koch who toured the market with us, this category of goods is up 53% in value across their venues.  Another afternoon, I must carve out more time for tasting.