GreenGov Symposium 2016

Written by Kathleen Merrigan, GW Food Institute Director 

Thursday September 8th, we will welcome U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Dan Barber, Chef and Co-owner of Blue Hill and Blue Hill at Stone Barns to the GW campus.  I have worked closely with both of these gentlemen and I can assure you that you do not want to miss their presentations.  How lucky we are to have them on our campus!

Dan Barber will address the issue of wasted food, scheduled for 11:15 am.  See his initiative, wastED, to get a sense of some of the things he might discuss.  Last year when I went to the New York Times Food for Tomorrow Conference, we ate a meal from wasted food.  Here’s a photo of a delicious salad that I enjoyed at the event – Dan named it Dumpster Dive Salad. It was composed of vegetable scraps, rejected apples and pears, and chick pea water.  What a treat!  

DumpsterDiveSalad

Dan thinks deeply about sustainability and food broadly and he  has a sense of humor that is irresistible (see his TED 2010 talk, How I Fell in Love with a Fish, viewed by more than 2 million).

Scheduled for 2 pm, Secretary Tom Vilsack will discuss issues related to sustainability and water.  I am sure he will cover a range of issues, including a new report on the National Drought Resilience Partnership that was just posted last week on the White House and USDA websites. Secretary Vilsack was my boss for four years when I served as USDA Deputy Secretary. He is a brilliant man and an outstanding speaker. This shouldn’t be missed!

If you have class and are unable to attend the whole of the symposium, join us via livestream at www.GreenGov2016.org