Sustainable Consumption at GW: Sign Up for a CSA!

Written by Izzy Moody ’19, GW Food Institute Student Fellow

The GroW Community, a student organization that manages the GroW Garden and cultivates dialogue on campus about food, is facilitating another round of sign-ups for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) shares!

The CSAs are distributed through Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative, a non-profit farmer’s cooperative based out of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Shares are delivered for pick-up weekly at a location near the GroW Garden.

Students participating in the CSA share program can use their credit, debit, or university dining dollars (“GWorld”) to support sustainable consumption. From pasture raised meats to seasonally and organically grown vegetables, environmentally conscious is an essential component to the shares Lancaster delivers. CSA participation also strengthens sustainable economies as small farms and local, rural communities benefit from each purchase.

As a GW student, and thus a city-dweller, removed from the land and people that feed me, it is all the more important that I find ways to use my grocery shopping to connect with food production. Participating in the GroW Garden/Lancaster CSA empowers me, as a consumer, to understand where and how my food is grown and who grows it. And, with my CSA share, I cook the food that nourishes me: perhaps the most direct form of self care.

The sign-up period for the spring semester CSA ends this Friday, January 27! Follow the instructions in the graphics below to make credit, debit, or GWorld purchases.

Email gwgardenmanager@gmail.com or follow the GroW Community on Facebook for more updates.